Monday, September 17, 2007

Earthy


Years ago, when we we're traveling through Tennesee, Dad introduced us to this weed called Kudzu. I think it was imported here during the prohibition to curb alcoholism. Or maybe erosion. Can't remember which.

All I know is that it can cover fences, cars and houses at an outstanding rate. (I hear if you want to make it grow faster, you put it under a concrete block and fertilize it with motor oil. this stuff is insane.) I went into Akin's health food store to get some vitamins and they had little caplets of it for sale. Donno' what it's suppose to do. But they were selling it.

And it gets worse. I saw two patches of it in the Sarcoxie area this weekend. At that rate all of the 417- area code, and part of 573- should be covered by next June. I think it's time somebody imported a bunch of alcoholic goats.
...
The MS weekend was long, and painful. Back to back centuries hurt.
My bike looked and sounded absolutely horrendous after all the miles and rain. So I pulled it all apart tonight and gave it a good going over. All I have to do is get the chain back on.
.
I hate the last couple hours of a century. It's not that my body is worn out... I'm pretty much worn out at the 60 mile mark. But in that last stretch my mind starts to go. And suddenly I'm facing all of my 'demons' and life frustrations. So I'm there trying to push my body on and pray through my life at the same time. It's really unique actually. Painful. But unique. I love this sport.
...

No comments: