Thursday, April 8, 2010

Winning..By Quitting

In America, more people die of bacteria that are so mutated that none of our medications can touch them -- than they do of AIDS. 

Meanwhile, we stuff our livestock, our poultry, and our sniffly-nosed children with every broad spectrum antibiotic available, effectively turning our nation into a breeding lab for highly-resistant strains.

The Norwegians have an entirely different idea. "We don’t throw antibiotics at every person with a fever. We tell them to hang on, wait and see, and we give them a Tylenol to feel better,” says Dr. John Birger Haug.

Novel.
They are conquering bacteria by NOT PRESCRIBING antibitoics!

The result? They can still prescribe simple pennicilins that have fewer side affects, and that are essentially useless in other developed countries.

Wow.

///

My wife just brought me a big, beautiful wad of meat and bacon, and bread.  Looks good.  I haven't been to the gym yet today, so my brain is already making me feel guilty.  Maybe I can eat just half of it?  Oh, the joys of counting calories.

Gotta hand it to her cooking skills.  I am officially 20 pounds over my married weight. 

//
Been reading voraciously this past week about early inventors.  Pretty inspiring stuff.  Like, did you know that Newton stuck a needle in his eye when he was trying to figure out the "elements" of light?

"The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments" by George Johnson is a great little read here at the local library.  I'll be done with it in a couple of days, and you guys can enjoy it.

No comments: