Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Chasing Cars

Four wheels move the body,
Two wheels move the soul.

-Seen on a bumper sticker

I got the Fixie out and rode to my 9 am lab class.  Loved it.  Took back roads -- that's the only way to ride a bike, you know, less traffic, more trees. 

More food for the soul

Got out of the class and called my honey at 12:04pm.  She was shopping with her family in Branson. 

Hit a Ford SUV at 12:08pm.

I was headed up towards OTC, coming through the green light there, near the "new" Cardinals stadium. According to her blinker she was planning on making a left turn.  Unfortunately, I was already in the intersection when I realized that she planned on making the turn while I was still in that intersection.

It was one of those accident you saw coming, and could do nothing about.  I decided I didn't want her hood.  So I steered as far left as I dared, hoping by some miracle I'd just clear the rear bumper. 

Unfortunately, her passenger side door was just a little too quick for me.

I'm just thanking God that I'm fine. They ran tests for about 3 hours in the ER.  No concussion, though my head is still a little weird. For instance, I had a test today, but had the hardest time remembering what an axon is.  Normally you could wake me up in the middle of the night and I could explain nerve action potentials, complete with sodium "inactivation" gates, and leak channels.  Not this morning.

I'll try heading back to work tomorrow.  Gotta pay rent, or so they say.

Major thanks to the boys at Sunshine Bike for putting my ride back together again.  Those are some awesomingly cool peeps over there.
///

I've finished reading "A Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning.  It's been an inspiring look at how God loves us, His ragamuffins.  And a real challenge as to how a view my fellow man, and the judgement and racisms, and stereotypes I can be so apt to throw around. 

And honesty.  Not the face I wear on Sunday morning. But Honesty.  In fact, he thinks that's why churches are so dead.  We all put on a good "act". Go to church to feed the "act".  And pick up the miserable reality again on Monday.  And when we are really honest with ourselves, are we that different from those we despise? It's only the Blood that has made the difference.  Lose the act, go to God as sinners.  Let God be real, and do His complete work in us.

Towards the end, he contrasts this notion we call "Born Again" with the old-fashioned phrase:
"Seized by the power of a great affection"

Well are we? Or are we simply, "born again"

That being said, this isn't a carte blanche review.  Do skip over his sections on "contemplative prayer" aight? And never replace "spiritual" books with the REAL THING.

//

Shucks, my head still isn't with me.  These sentences are coming out a little weird.

Keep pedaling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a hard enough time explaining action potential without a head injury. Yikes. So glad the Lord protected you.