Thursday, April 29, 2010

April's Showers...

You can tell it's late.  The lame title gives it away.

May is here.  Close enough anyhow.  The older I get, the faster the years go by.  I know my birthday isn't til January, but for all intensive purposes, I may as well be considered 26 now.  Four years 'til I turn 30.  Let's just hope I've moved outta' the cubicle by then.

//
The little guy is getting bigger.  He's been kicking pretty regularly now, so I've been able to "spend a little time" with him.  It sort've makes the fact that I'm about to be a father (ok, so I'm already am...) all that more real.

What's weird is that by the time my parents were 25, they had already potty-trained both my brother and I.  At that same age when they were changing my diapers and working multiple jobs, I was working part-time and racing my bicycle every weekend.  It makes one wonder about the maturity of me and my peers. Will we ever truly grow up? Or will our children forever have to struggle against their parent's own childish self-interest?

Fredrica Matthews-Green had a great post on her blog about that "missing" maturity in prevalent in modern movies.

Quote,

"In a review ... Michael Atkinson referred to the current crop of childish male actors as 'toddler-men.' He wrote, 'The conscious contrast between baby-faced, teen-voiced toddler-men movie actors and the golden age’s grownups is unavoidable…[T]hough DiCaprio is the same age here as Hughes was in 1934, he may not be convincing as a 30-year-old until he’s 50.

Characters in these older movies appear to be an age nobody ever gets to be today. This isn’t so much an observation about these actors (who may have behaved in very juvenile ways privately), but about what audiences at the time thought grownups acted like."
It's a great skim, Read it here...

(Thanks, Darrin Rogers for pointing me there)

//

Been reading 109 East Palace.  It's the story about "Site Y" where  "The Manhattan Project" took place.  It's a fascinating read about these Noble-prize-winning scientists and their families living in makeshift barracks on the top of a deserted hill in complete secrecy -- hidden even from their own friends.

I can't say that I like the author's style.  She takes plenty of detours into the local painters and politicians of the WWII era Sante Fe area. And, to add insult, she leaves out most of the cool scientific stuff.  (Granted, if it included instructions on how to build a nuclear weapon, the book probably would not have been published.)

What is cool, though, is the Los Alamos' website.  I thought NASA had a cool site, but, whoa -- they need to get some pointers from these guys in the desert.  Fuel cell technology, atomic bombs, missile defense.....You've gotta check it out for yourself!!

http://www.lanl.gov/

//

Quiz tomorrow. Enjoy the rain.

No comments: