Wednesday, January 2, 2008

It's been a crazy week.

Our family did Christmas on Sunday. And then Monday one of my best friends got himself hitched. It still seems a little surreal. I hadn't thought he'd be ready, but he's really matured and grown in Christ in the last year. They'll be awesome. Besides,they make a cute couple.

On Tuesday another couple of friends tied the knot. As I was sitting there listening to them recite their vows I realized that I couldn't remember any of the vows from the previous day. I think I was too busy thinking "Oh my word! He's actually getting married!". (Did I mention surreal?)

But both days we're great. We saw so many friends and even brought in the New Year at church. Last night I was so tired. I hit the sack at 10 and got up at 8 the next day. I know. I should be ashamed of myself.

//The rest is a ramble//

You know, every year I set big goals for myself. Never reach them all, but it helps.

And so I’ve lived. I’ve chased some careers. Spent money on possessions. Pursued cool experiences. And I look around at the world and see everyone else doing the same thing. We chase, we pursue, and then we turn forty and freak out because our life isn’t satisfying. So we decide (rightly) that we’ve been chasing the wrong things and ‘reevaluate our priorities’. New hobbies, new cars, new wives….

The problem is, the priorities are still ours. And when we die, they mean nothing.

And so, after a lot of soul-searching I've trashed about all of my other goals. I want Christ to be my focus. I know we say it, but for me, it's long overdue.

And pray for me. He's already showing me what a wretch I am, and frankly - but for His grace - it would be hopeless.

......

“The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the LORD shall not want any good thing.” Ps 34:10

No comments: