Thursday, October 23, 2008

Preparation for Take-off

Illinois is a little cooler than Missouri.
Which is all right, except that I brought my suitcases full of t-shirts and breathable hiking pants that'll be perfect in Africa, and I am parading them around in 30-something weather. whee.
////
Bags are packed. Shots are taken. I even bought a hat. The plane leaves for Boston on Monday, Cape Verde on Wednesday, and Guinea Bissau after that. I should touch back down in Springfield on about the 4th of December.
///
A huge thanks to all who have made this possible. I'm hoping and believing for the fruit that will come as a result of our sowing. But even beyond that; there has been an incredible amount of growing and stretching in my life in the last 2 weeks. So many things I have had to relinquish control over and learn to trust God with. Seriously, I went through a few weeks of mild depression and fear as God helped me lay each item into His. It's been incredible. I don't believe I've ever been more free. More bold.
Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him [God]...
Faith and trust are so freaking close to each other. I hadn't realized that before. Which is greater? James talks about that. Faith without works is dead. It's easy to have faith in the boat. to believe in those things "unseen" (Heb 11:1). But how many of us would really build an ark(Noah), travel to an unknown land (Abram), preach a coming judgement (Elijah), or quit our job, or give all of our savings, or have a house full of kids, or...?
How many of us have the trust -- the works -- to leap out and make faith active?

I know I don't.
But through this trip God is taking me, and deepening my trust. I suspect there's depths yet to come that I cannot fathom. But right now I'm pretty amazed.
THANK YOU! to everyone who is enabling this.
//
This Library SMELLS. It used to be that Rockford was more hip than springfield. Now I'm working at a computer still equipped with IE 6 in a library that smells like a welfare office (yeah, I've sat in those.)

...ok, the welfare office smell has just been overpowered by a mixture of burnt ramen and ladies deoderant. gyahuk!

At least they give you 90 minutes on the computer....
/
I heard this on the radio when I was about 50 minutes away from Rockford.
yeah, the man in me likes the chorus, and totally understands the contradiction.
You keep me standing tall
You'll help me through it all
I'm always strong when you're beside me
I have always needed you
I could never make it alone...
I am the man who will fight for your honor
I'll be the hero that you're dreaming of
Gonna live forever knowing together that we did it all for the glory of love
-The Glory of Love, by New-Found Glory

No comments: