Monday, August 20, 2007

Big Yellow Taxi

I came home from work to find Cory bouncing his pen in front of his computer screen because it looked cool.
...

I tried to ride in the rain today. Fell down and got an awesome little bit of rash on the right hip. I was in my new Sunshine shorts too. What a pity.

....
Wandered around the MSU campus a bit. I do miss that place a little. Maybe after I graduate I shall go back and work on a computer science degree Just take one course a semester, and when I'm forty I'll have some totally rockin' degree. Of course that'll be about the time computers get outdated.

...
The Triathlon on Saturday was a real bear. I knew I couldn't swim -- I just hadn' realized how badly I couldn't swim. Honestly. I jumped in the pool, kicked off the wall and then just glided underwater for an eternity thinking "what do I do next? what do I do next?" About that time I ran out of air and proceeded to freak out. Completely killed any ideas of a nice, slow controlled freestyle swim. Ended up dogpaddling the whole stinkin' thing.
After the second lap I crawled on the edge of the pool and just panted in terror. The race director came up and patted me on the back. totally pitiful. After the third lap I was perched on the edge again watching the last swimmer leave the pool. I sighed and told the life guard to hang on, it may be awhile before I got out. ah, it was shameful. Took a whole 18 minutes to swim that thing.
I'm soo going to learn how to swim.

The rest of the course wasn't bad... just painful. The thing I both love and hate about triathlons is that from the time you get out of the pool to the time you quit, you never quit panting. So for an hour my heart was at redline. Which totally rules, and totally blows. Nate and I spent a good portion of Saturday and Sunday sleeping. Recovery, they call it.
Yeah, I'll do another one sometime. But road racing remains my favorite.
[Stats: 63rd out of 221. 6th in 20-24 males. 1:21:15.8]
...

Been dying to ride my fixie. So I took it downtown tonight. Saw a Jim Farasy at Patton Alley and said hey, and then stopped by mudhouse and harassed some random customers and one of the SBS's owners. Good stuff. Even got some studying in and a long ride home. (I took a detour by August's house to say yo)

...
Get tomorrow off. I'm really thinking of a century ride. We'll see. there are brief moments where I wish I could just have a day to have fun and not worry about bikes or training on bikes or helping customers ride their bikes. But then I realize how truly lucky I am.

I have to worry about bikes. awwww. life is so tuff.
...
I Cor 13
Been pondering God's love. You know, the first love. The romantic jealous love of our Lover. And then I'm comparing it to the bitter self-centered love we show to our brother's and sister's in Christ. And how petty we are. And so we pick at them... and we're down on ourselves... and all the while Christ is just longing to call us away to spend time with Him. I dunno. Some of these thought's aren't fully formed. I think Christ is trying to root something out of my life and I'm not entirely sure what it is yet.
....
Had someone give me the 'career speech'. (As follows: google 'top-paying jobs'. find one you can put up with. do it.) Blah, bleck. Yeah, I may not make as much money doing something I enjoy; but I'd take my fixie and a one-bedroom apartment with a bunch of hapiness over the corporate world's bloated bellies, fake suits, midlife crisis and bored wives. I have too much stuff as it is.

Ahem. I supose one of these days a bunch of kids with poopy diapers will crash my little dream-chasing bachelor's paradise. but until then. I'll keep riding the fixie.
.
They paved paradise And put up a parking lot. With a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swinging hot spot.

took all the trees; Put 'em in a tree museum. And they charged the people A dollar and a half just to see 'em.

Hey farmer, farmer -- Put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, But leave me the birds and the bees, Please!

last nightI heard the screen door slam And a big yellow taxi Took my girl away.

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone.
They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot

They paved paradise , and put up a parking lot
-Big Yellow Taxi. Joni Mitchell

No comments: