Friday, January 14, 2011

Scovilles

Wilbur Scoville invented a test to determine the hotness of peppers.

Since He invented it, he named it.

So now Scoville Heat Units are used to determine the hotness of peppers, or the amount of capsaicin present. 

A Bell pepper is 0.  Jalapenos come in at about 2,500 Scoville units with Habaneros registering about 200,000+.  The Naga Jokia Chili pepper melts your sinuses about 1.4 million Scoville units.

Of course you could always try pure capsaicin at about 15 million Scoville units.

I should name something.

/
Upgrade! I got a new phone today.  Dropped my smartphone package and the out-dated piece of junk I had been using, and went to the ruggedized Casio G'zOne. I was sold on it after I had read about the gauntlet Andy Kaiser had put his through, complete with a baking, dunking and toddler-test.

The only thing left was to convince my wife on the price tag.  (Thankfully, the rebates and my Chase discount did a lot of the convincing for me) 

I can't wait to dunk it in the canoe this summer.

No comments: