Friday, January 21, 2011

Forex, MiFi, Mr Powell, Mr. Dungy, Mr. Brightside.

This week has been up and down - literally - in the Forex.  There's these things called Supports and things called Resistance. I'll write an article soon on them.  Basically, you are suppose to buy on one and sell on the other.

Seems like I kept doing the opposite all week long. (There will soon be a chart posted to show just how much I lost this week)

In other Forex news, my wife does not seem to appreciate me waking at 3:30am to see how the London Markets are faring. The life of a trader...

//
There is something out there called MiFi. As the CNN article I read describes it, it takes cellular signal and creates a localized, mobile, wifi HotSpot.  Apparently it's only about $40 a month for the setup from Virgin Mobile.  




It costs a little more to get started than, say, a tethering setup. But if you are always on the go or have more than one computer that needs to be online in some rural area - it looks like the hookup.

The CNN article was covering how some geeks are using their Apple Touch with a MiFi  as an inexpensive iPhone. Frankly, that sounded like more of a pain then I would like, but I'm still sold on the MiFi setup.

In other Tech news, this Facebook game saved a man's life.

//

With all the links I'm putting around on my blog, I think it is fair to make a point that I'm not doing it for pay right now.  These are items I truly find cool/weird/informative, and would absolutely drive my wife crazy trying to show her all of them.

That being said, I have nothing against my wife's current  money-making gig she has going on at her blog. And, if any of you would like an easy $50 a week writing blog stories, you should really talk to her. She's a super resourceful little lady, and I'm super proud of her.

//

I finished Soldier, and am now an even bigger fan of Colin Powell. Sure, I don't go with his stance on abortion, but his emphasis on diplomacy was so well presented through-out the book, it's sometimes hard to believe he was trained as a killing machine.

So often we glorify the sacrifices of war and defending our country.  He never detracts from that. But war for him was only an consideration after diplomatic options have been exhausted first. And when it came to war, it had to be decisive (500,000 troops for Desert  Storms week-long war, compared to Rumsfield approximately 200,000 for a full invasion and occupation)

And pre-empt war. He twice brokered deals to remove Haiti from the brink of war. He was the central role behind the Israeli-Palestinian peace process during Bush's first administration (when Bush actually let him send emissaries over there) . Patient Diplomacy. And Preemptive Diplomacy. Smart guy

I'm now starting the first chapters of Tony Dungy's Quiet Strength

Already I'm inspired to "be more".  I think the onset of marriage and adulthood tends to drag one into an incredible mire of "I can't" and "It'll never happen".  It's great to introduce my mind to inspirational men (in this case, men of God) to help snap it out of the ruts it tries so hard to get into.

In other biographical news, my wife is on her own biographical journey.





//
But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
'Cause I'm Mr Brightside - Killers





No comments: