Thursday, September 9, 2010

Read the Red and Pray the Power

Yesterday (was it that long ago?), I shared a link that another friend had shared about how modern, relevant, churches are losing their congregation.  As the author of that article states:

 "If we are interested in Christianity in any sort of serious way, it is not because it's easy or trendy or popular. It's because Jesus himself is appealing, and what he says rings true. It's because the world we inhabit is utterly phony, ephemeral, narcissistic, image-obsessed and sex-drenched—and we want an alternative. It's not because we want more of the same.


It brought to mind a testimony I read sometime ago.

Larry Lea has written a fascinating book from his life "Could you Not Tarry One Hour?"

I've been inspired every time I've read it.

Enjoy this excerpt:

...1972 was a big year for me: I graduated from college; I married my wife Melva Jo; and Howard Conaster, pastor of Beverly Hills Baptist Church in Dallas, surprised me with a generous invitation to become his youth minister.

I appreciated his offer, but didn't really want to be a youth minister.  My desire was to become an evanelist like James Robison, and I told Pastor Conaster so.  He wasn't upset in the least. "Just pray about it, Larry" his raspy bass voice drawled confidently.  So I prayed, and to my astonishment, the Lord directed me to accept the position. 

Back then I wasn't one to beat around the bush when a head-on confrontation would do as well.  When I learned that the youth group at Beverly Hills existed on a steady diet of skating parties, wiener roasts, haunted houses, and trips to Six Flags, I strolled in before the critical stares of fifty pairs of young eyes and announced,

"Ya'll, we're not gonna do all that stuff anymore.  We're gonna' read the red and pray for the power."

The response was tremendous! Overnight the youth group went from 50 to 14! Phenomenal growth!

...That group of 14 began meeting on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday nights.   By then end of the first summer, we had grown from 14 to 140.  By the end of the second year, we had 1,000 teenagers in our youth services, and many more flocked to the Christian concerts we sponsored...
 //
I love it.  Maybe one day I'll get called to lead a work like that.  Until then the focus is on my new little family. Being faithful with little, and being inspired by those who are faithful with much.

No comments: