Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Coffee Trials

For a blog about cycling, I sure do talk a lot about coffee.  But then, what cyclist doesn't love his coffee?

Like the new coffee shop downtown - The Hub.  Coffee AND bikes.  (yes, BMX does count)

Now there's a business idea.

//

While I'm on a Coffee rant, Check out this Hoops and Yo-yo e-card.

It rocks
//

I woke up late Friday morning.  Not late enough for the boss to know any different.  But late enough I wasn't about to wait for my Folgers to brew.

I regretted that decision.

Two hours later, my eyes were refusing to stay propped open.  One of my co-workers sauntered through with something that looked like coffee. I tried to act nonchalant, but it was all I could do to keep from forcibly taking his mug. "Where'd ya find da coffee, man?"

"Oh, I keep it at my desk.  Here, you want some?"

I microwaved some water and was soon drinking instant coffee.  I haven't had instant coffee since I was in Africa.  And there they don't call it coffee. It's Kaf-fe' (or something like that), as if it's a more elite item.

Apparently our hotel hosts didn't realize their continent was brimming with the real bean.

//

My wife has tons of decaf sitting around.  Most of has been given to her by well-meaning people - a church we visited handed us a fresh ground pouch,  a Gevalia sales person had some left-over samples, I think my mom gave her some as a Christmas present.

I don't drink decaf.  It seems unnatural.  Like snorting powdered milk instead of cocaine.  If I'm going decaf, I'm going tisane instead.  Much more enjoyable.

That aside, I can't say I haven't been jealous - eyeballing her freshly-ground exotic packages of decaf while a gulp my sludgy Yuban. ( I ran out of Folgers)

So I finally broke down.  I've started stealing her tea - lacing my cheap coffee with her exotic gifts.

Can't say I notice a difference. But somehow, the world seems more right.   

No comments: